1 ¼ cup brown lentils
3 ¼ cups water
1 ½ tsp. thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp water for sautéing
1 onion chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1 bunch of fresh spinach (washed and stems removed)
1. Combine lentils, water, thyme, and bay leaves in a saucepan. Cover, and simmer over low-medium heat until lentils are tender (around 45 minutes). –Check after 30 minutes to see if more water needs to be added. Drain any liquid that remains.
2. Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Let lentils cool down.
3. Heat water in a large size pan over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Add onion mixture to cooked lentils and stir till combined. Stir in the vinegar and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve over bed of fresh spinach.
Let’s Talk Nutrition:
• High in fiber
• Stabalizes blood sugar
• Lowers Cholesterol
• High in Iron
• Contains antioxidants
• Great source of vitamin K, vitamin A and manganese