4 small-medium beets, peeled and steamed
2 T. lemon juice
splash of water
1/2 cup olive oil (or coconut oil if you desire)
1/4 c. non-dairy or organic milk
1/2 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. white sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
3 T. cocoa powder
1 heaping cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare beets. Steam for about 10 minutes.
3. Place beets, lemon juice and a small amount of water in a food processor or blender and puree.
4. Using an electric or stand mixer, cream together beet puree, oil, milk, sugars and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, combine cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
6. Slowly add mixture to wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
7. Spoon batter into a prepared 9 by 9 inch pan
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool completely.
Let’s Talk Nutrition
- Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support.
- Excellent source of folate
- Good source of fiber
- Nature’s Viagra 🙂
- Improves Mental Health
- Cell Detoxification and Cleansing